Dhaka, Sep 5 (UNI) As many as 12 people, including a boy, died and dozens others suffered serious burn injuries after air conditioners of a masjid burst Friday night in Bangladesh’s central Narayanganj district, about 20 km from the capital Dhaka, an official said Saturday morning.
Samanta Lal Sen, the coordinator of the Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery in Dhaka, told journalists that “12 people till Saturday morning died after being admitted to the institute with major burns on their bodies.”
He said at least 37 injured were rushed to the institute on Friday night. Most of the victims suffered from 60 to 70 per cent burns, and the health condition of 25 others is also critical.
Fire officials suspected a gas leak when the Muslim worshippers were about to leave the masjid after their Isha (night) prayers at around 2100 hrs local time on Friday.
All eight air-conditioners on the ground floor burst into flames when there were reportedly around 100 worshippers at the three-storey masjid.
Shafiqul Islam, officer-in-charge of Fatullah Police Station in Narayanganj, said huge blasts caused window glasses of the masjid fly onto the street and burnt ceiling fans, wires and electric switch boards.